Before you start enjoying the nice weather and planning your vacations, review the tips below on how to keep your home safe while you are away.
- Mow your grass. A clean-cut lawn doesn’t just make your yard look nice, it helps deter burglars. High, uncut grass is a sign to burglars that the property may be vacant.
- Lock doors and windows. When the temperature goes up, it’s tempting to leave doors and windows open to let the fresh air in after a long winter. Just be sure to lock them when you leave.
- Use outdoor lights. A dark, unlit home is a sign you are not home.
- Plan carefully before vacation. Keep an extra car parked in your driveway, or ask a neighbor to check frequently, to create the appearance that you’re home.
- Don’t tell the world you’re going away. Be careful broadcasting your vacation on social media. Break ins can happen when it is known you are away. Always post pictures when you return from your vacation.
- Consider a home security system. Do you travel for work and want comfort knowing your loved ones are home safe? You can easily upgrade your home alarm system little by little to fit your lifestyle. Add cameras, glass break detectors, window/door contacts, Z-wave devices, outdoor lighting schedules, and more! Make sure to turn on push notifications within your Virtual Keypad app to receive important activity alerts.