As Summer Vacation Comes To An End, Kids
(and parents) Are Getting Ready To Head Back To School
Here are some back to school safety tips to keep your children and home safe.
- Always walk on the sidewalk
- Always cross the road on a cross walk, after looking both ways
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the road
- Stay alert of your surroundings
- Always ride on the right side of the road in a single file line if on a bike of skate board
- Always wear a properly fitted helmet if on a bike or skate board
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the road
- Always stay five steps away from the curb
- Practice school bus procedures; Always wait until the bus comes to a complete stop and the bus driver signals you to cross the road
- Never raise your voice on the bus to avoid distracting the driver
- Practice with inexperienced drivers often
- Set a good example, drive the way you want your teen to drive
- Stay focused.
- Always stay hydrated
- Pack a snack/meal for after school in between practices or games
- Never ignore injuries, especially to the head
- The majority of home break-ins happen during the day when it looks like no one is home. If your have older children getting home from school before you leave work, make sure they know how to keep the security system armed while home alone.
- Use the virtual keypad app to double-check schedules, adjust thermostats, manager user codes & change lock times via your smartphone. It will secure your home, strengthen your family’s safety & allow your home to work more efficiently for you.
- Check out our blog on “Tips for Children Home Alone”.