Fire Prevention Week
Did You Know?
You could have less than 2 minutes to get out safely once the smoke detectors sound.
Are You Prepared For The Unexpected?
- Always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. Turn off the oven and stove if you leave the kitchen or house for any reason while frying, boiling, grilling or baking.
- Use a timer so you do not forget. Check on your food often.
- Be alert! Do not cook if you have consumed alcohol or are tired.
- Consider your attire. Do not cook while wearing loose clothing and consider pulling your long hair back.
- Keep the floor clear so that there are no tripping hazards.
- Remove all items from the counter that could possibly fall or be in the way.
- Be sure all curtains, towels and pot holders are away from hot surfaces.
- Keep unattended children out of the kitchen. When they are old enough, teach them how to properly use the oven and stove top.
- Turn pot handles away from the stoves edge.
- Do not put your face directly in the steam path while opening a lid and in the oven door.
- Let all food from the microwave, oven and stove top cool before eating or touching.
- Keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove. Leave the pan covered until it’s completely cooled.
- If there is an oven fire, turn the heat off and keep the door closed.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to fight a grease fire.
- If there’s a fire, GET OUT! If you try to fight the fire, be sure others have a clear path out. Call 911 after you leave.
- Have a kid-free zone of at least 3 feet around hot things in the kitchen
- Kids love helping out in the kitchen. So if you’re not old enough yet to cook on your own, not to worry; being the chef’s helper is the most important job in the kitchen
- Know where the smoke alarms are in your home. Have a grown-up push the smoke alarm button so kids know the sound of a smoke alarm and what to do when you hear it.
- Make sure hot liquids and foods are in the center of the table or towards the back of the counter
- Visit Sparky School House to teach kids fun interactive fire safety tips!
Get A Free Quote
Ready To customize your alarm system?
Call our office at (800)794-6277 or complete the form to have one of our sales consultants contact you.